Saturday, February 25, 2017

#52stories - Week 8 (Feb 22nd)

Secondary school - part 1.

After 6th grade, we moved to the western side of town and stayed there though my high school and college years. I rode the bus to school until I could drive.  Then I sometimes drove to school, but I had to drop Mom off at work across town first and pick her up at the end of her work day.

Southwest Junior High - grades 7-9:  Because I had not attended one of the feeder schools to Southwest, my parents had to enroll me there as a new student.  I remember going with them to meet Principal Moses Bridges.  Everything went fairly smoothly.  But I wanted to take "new" math in 7th grade and I had missed the required cutoff score on the standardized placement test by a point or two.  My parents advocated for me and Mr. Bridges agreed to let me try it.  If he had not agreed, I would not have been able to take Calculus my senior year.  So I have always been grateful for that.

Over the next 3 years, I took math, science, English, history, and physical education (P.E.) every year.   A few words about P.E. class.  While I generally enjoyed P.E. class, it was definitely new.  We had to wear white uniforms that consisted of shorts and a top.  We were required to shower after class unless we had our periods.  In that case, when your name was called for attendance, you would respond with "X".  This was quite embarrassing in junior high.  It was the first time I had encountered the group shower situation and I have never liked it.

My 7th grade math teacher was Mr. Shepherd, one of the first two male teachers I had; he also taught my health science class.  North Carolina history was taught in the 7th grade and I had Mr. Ellingham, the other male teacher I had that year, for that.  He also taught Language Arts, a.k.a. English, in a combined class.  My electives were French, Arts & Crafts, and Fine Arts. Mrs. Broughton taught P.E.  At the beginning of the year, I went to get my hair cut and the hairdresser went a little overboard.  Also, I still wore glasses.  The result was my all-time least favorite school picture:
In 8th grade, it was Mrs. Grove for English and social studies, Miss Martin for Algebra I, Mrs. Mooney for physical science, and Mrs. Broughton again for P.E. My electives were French, art, and homemaking, which was required for all female students. 

In 9th grade, I had Mrs. Hill for English and social studies, Miss Martin for Geometry, Mr. Wiley for biology, and Miss Pruitt for P.E.  My electives were French, art, music appreciation, and health.  Mrs. Hill was a piece of work.  I did well in her class because I was a good student. But I remember her ridiculing students who didn't know how to spell Gethsemane.  After about four students missed it, I got it right and the ridicule stopped.  That's just one example that I remember.  I recall that 2 years later my brother had her; and, when he complained about her, my parents were skeptical.  But I assured them that she was really not a nice teacher and I was sure his account was accurate.  Because my dad had been a teacher, my parents usually took the teacher's side in arguments...until that year.  Also that year, I was begging my parents to buy me new glasses so that I could ditch those ugly ones from 7th grade.  They said no, but agreed to let me get contacts if the eye doctor agreed.  So, in 1967, I got my first pair of contact lenses.  And here's my 9th grade picture:
During these 3 years, I met many people who I still consider to be close friends.  We do not live close to each other but we have stayed in touch. I don't remember having any extracurricular activities during this time.  But I might have continued with safety patrol in 7th grade.  I remember that I advanced to the rank of Lieutenant, but that might have been in 6th grade. The school is still there, but is now an elementary school.  And, no, my memory is not that good; I still have my report cards for all grades, although I did not refer to them until this blog entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment