Saturday, September 8, 2012

Oakwood Cemetery (the subject of my last couple of posts) is located on Nine Mile Road just south of I-64 in the city of Richmond, Virginia. It is a huge cemetery, and I mean HUGE.  The picture above is just one view of a section of the cemetery.  No one picture does it justice.

Oakwood was established about 1854 and covers approximately 66 acres. Over 17,000 Civil War dead are buried here & they cover what looks to be about one-third or one-fourth of the cemetery...see the CSA sections at the bottom of the map below.
Plat A below is where my great-grandparents are buried,  They are in Section 3, lot 15, close to Memorial Drive. It is adjacent to the CSA sections.
And Section E, Division 9, lot 6 is where my grandparents are buried.It is on the same side of the cemetery as Part A.  Both of these are separated from the main entrance by a hill/ravine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment