Monday, September 10, 2012


Timber Ridge Associate Reform Presbyterian Church is right across the street from Timber Ridge Presbyterian. It was formed in 1856.  I have never been inside the church as far as I can remember.  More significantly to me, it has an adjacent cemetery where many of my Alexander & Gibson family are buried.

My father is buried there, as are his parents.  My father's father died when my father was only 3 years old.  At that time, my grandmother purchased 16 plots for John Alexander (my grandfather) & his heirs.  She assumed that her three sons and their wives would want to be buried there.  Now that's planning ahead!

Apparently when my Aunt Midge (my grandmother's sister-in-law with whom she had had some issues) died in the 1950s, Midge somehow arranged to be buried in the Alexander plot.  Family legend has it that my grandmother had no idea that this was happening until she went to the funeral and saw where the hole had been dug.  She was really miffed at Aunt Midge for doing that.  My Aunt Nannie (another sister-in-law, apparently one with whom there was less friction) is also in the plot.

My Dad's two brothers elected to be buried in the Fairfield Cemetery along with their wives & the wives families.  So there's still plenty of room in the cemetery if we need it!

No comments:

Post a Comment