Wednesday, March 28, 2012


From the Lexington Gazette dated 20 September 1911. 

At the Virginia Daughters of the American Revolution State Conference, I attended a workshop on genealogical resources available through the Library of Virginia. One of them was the site called Chronicling America at http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/.  This is an effort to digitize America's historic newspapers.  So I searched the Lexington Gazette for my paternal grandmother, Janet Fultz.  This is one of the articles that  showed up. 

I especially liked this article because the attendees included two couples--my grandparents Janet Fultz & John Alexander as well as Greenlee Firebaugh & Ossie Dunlap--before they were married in 1913 & 1914, respectively.  And about 29 years after this party, the children of these two couples were married.  Robert Tate Alexander and Sarah Elizabeth "Libby" Firebaugh were married in November 1940.  Tate & Libby were my aunt & uncle and I have many memories of them.  Maybe I can share those in a later post.


No comments:

Post a Comment