Saturday, March 31, 2012

 

This was Aunt Jessie's lawn mower.  I assume it's an antique because she had it for as long as I can remember and she died in 1982.  She kept it in her basement and actually used it to mow the grass.  I admired it and told her she could leave it to me.  So after she died and the family gathered to go through her possessions, my parents came back with this mower for me.  I don't really know what to do with it, but I can't bring myself to get rid of it. 

Note that the wheels are metal--no rubber tires.  I'm pretty sure it never had them, so it predates rubber wheels.  Stenciled in all caps on the wooden shaft are the words "NEW INVADER BALL BEARING".  Those words are also molded into the metal wheels.  I wonder what the old/original invader looked like?

1 comment:

  1. We had one of those in our basement when we moved in here. :) The foundation of our house was made in the 1890s! Thanks for sharing your blog! -Julie Alexander

    ReplyDelete