Saturday, March 24, 2012

This picture of my Dad, Jack Alexander, with his older brothers, Jim & Tate, was in an old black construction paper type photo album that a family member gave to my Dad.  It was dated 1921 by the person who created the album--probably my Aunt Midge given the photos that were in the album.

Because the picture was taken before my father's father died in 1923 and because of other pictures in the album that were taken at the same time, I know that the boys were in the yard of their home in Rockbridge County, Virginia.

Midge was Mary Annaliza Alexander (my father's father's sister).  She died when I was 2 years old, so I don't remember her. I do know that she was born in 1887, became a nurse, never married, and died in 1954. She also is responsible for the basis of much of my original family tree data.

In 1941, Aunt Midge hand copied a manuscript that described my 5th great-grandfather, his two wives, their 15 children, and their descendants through the late 1800s. In my early 20s, I received a photocopy of her work from my mother.  My recollection is that my Aunt Libby (Tate's wife) was making copies of Aunt Midge's book for her children and asked my mother if she would like copies for us.  My mother got a copy for each of her children.  (I could be wrong about the Libby part, but it was someone in the family).


2 comments:

  1. Nancy,

    Alec and I have enjoyed looking at your blog! Thanks for putting it together. We have a portrait type photo of Bruce Alexander Lipscomb when he was very young (maybe 3 years old?) and he has the exact same haircut as the middle child in this photo. Do you think this could be Alec's dad?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm hoping to do one a day, I certainly have enough pictures! I agree that Jim & Alec looked a lot alike at that age. The only way I know who is who is that in the 1990s, I showed the pictures to Alec Sr, Jim, & Dad to identify the people. They agreed on pretty much all of them. There are a few people that none of them could identify. These were adults that were probably Aunt Midge's friends.

      Delete