Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Maple Hall - a restored 1850 plantation home 

Maple Hall (pictured above) is located near Lexington, Virginia, on Route 11.  It is on the National Register of Historic Places.  But when I lived in Rockbridge County (pre-1962), this was the McCorkle family's house. 

The house is at the intersection of Route 11 and I-81 and current owners operate it as an inn & restaurant.  It is listed as an historic inn in Lexington, Virginia.  When I lived there, there was no I-81 and we would have said this was in Timber Ridge, not Lexington.
 
According to the Virginia Landmarks Register, John Beard Gibson had the house built in 1855 for his growing family.  In 1829, Gibson had married Grace McKay Taylor and they had eight children.  Gibson had accumulated some wealth through "milling and distilling", so he built the house.

John Beard Gibson was my great-great-great grandfather through his daughter Ann Eliza Gibson, her son James William Alexander, his son John Addison Alexander, and his son (and my father) John Addison Alexander.  John Beard Gibson also was my great-great grand uncle through his brother David Addison Gibson, his daughter Sarah (aka Sally) Isabella Gibson who married James William Alexander.  In other words, my great grandparents were first cousins once removed.  And Sally and her mother-in-law were first cousins.  I almost feel like I shouldn't admit that.

No comments:

Post a Comment