Wednesday, June 20, 2012




These are one set of my great-grandparents: John Graham Barnett, Sr. (1857 - 1907) and his wife Mamie Elizabeth Love (1864-1930).  They were both from Mecklenberg County, Virginia.  They had three daughters and two sons, one of whom was my grandfather: John Graham Barnett, Jr. He also was their oldest child.

I have been told that J G Sr was an itinerant preacher.  I think he may also have been an alcoholic.  In any case, the family life didn't seem to be too stable.  My grandfather was only 18 or 19 when his father died & he took on much of the responsibility of providing for his family, according to my mother.  

I'm pretty sure she got copies of these pictures from her cousin Thomas Barnett, who was a son of Thomas Jeffress Barnett, this couple's youngest child. 

No comments:

Post a Comment