Monday, June 11, 2012


Thomas Poage was born 1 January 1825 in Staunton, Virginia.  Somewhere along the line, he must have attended college because the 1860 Census listed him as a lawyer in Pulaski, Virginia.  He married Mary Vermillion and they had four children. In 1861, he enlisted as a Captain in the 50th Regiment, Virginia Infantry, of the Confederate Army in Wythe County, Virginia.  He was promoted to Colonel and on 30 January 1863, he was killed on the battlefield in Blackwater, Virginia. 

Thomas Poage was my second cousin three times removed.  He, his mother, and one of his sons are buried in Newbern Cemetery in Dublin, which is in Pulaski County. His father, William Poage, is buried at Augusta Stone Presbyterian Church near Staunton in Augusta County.  Thomas's wife died in 1908 in Wytheville, Virginia.

7 comments:

  1. Just used your post on Thomas Poage for a note on a letter that mentions him. He was apparently practicing law in Augusta County in 1855. The letter is in the Watts Collection in the History Museum of Western Virginia in Roanoke, catalogued as 1998.26.743. It will eventually be online, but is not yet there. Thanks for your useful posting. ---English Showalter

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be in Roanoke next March for the state DAR conference. So I will have to include a visit to the museum while I am there. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Thanks I have been researching this family as well, as they are the slave holders that held my people in bondage.
    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Thanks for the comment. Unfortunately, almost all of the whites in the valley owned slaves during this time frame. One of my to-do items is to try to locate descendants of some of my ancestors' slaves to see if we are genetically related. I hope not, but I'm not ruling anything out.

      Delete
  4. That would be nice! Have you dna tested yet? I havent yet for this line (my dad). I tested my grandmothers sister for my Johnson line. Robert Poage, (the one that eventually landed in Ohio) set his slaves free. I like "e -meeting" people who are researching the same people I do. Amazing!

    George Poage seemed to be a very suspicious character..
    His mother sold a slave to purchase a carriage.

    Are u in any facebook geneaology groups?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please send me an email at nasimmons at aol dot com. I spelled this out so that it can't be picked up electronically...I hope.

      Delete
    2. Yes I sent an email. I must have typed it in wrong the first time around.

      Delete