Friday, May 4, 2012




Here are a few pictures of my Uncle Tate (officially Robert Tate Alexander, Sr).  The picture on the top was taken in about 1919.  I have many pictures of Tate with his two brothers or with his brothers & his cousin. But not many of him by himself at this age.

The newspaper article in the middle is dated 30 September 1959.  Tate is seated in the lower right-hand side of the picture. The group is the Rockbridge-Buena Vista Tuberculosis Seal Sale Committee at a planning meeting.  The local paper, The Lexington Gazette,was full of articles like this when I was a kid.  

The bottom picture (which also features my daughter & me) was taken in 2007 at Tate's house in Fairfield. I have many memories of Tate; too many to describe.  I thought he was very serious when I was a kid, but that was more likely because I didn't understand his sense of humor.  And both of my uncles were more serious than my dad, who was their brother.

Tate is a family name that used to be a surname.  Tate was named after his great-grandfather  Robert Tate Willson, whose mother was Phebe Tate. Phebe's father Robert Tate and her grandfathers John Tate and John McClung are three of my proven DAR patriots. Robert Tate served in the Augusta County militia under Captain James Tate.  John Tate rendered material aid.  And John McClung served in the Rockbridge County militia.

No comments:

Post a Comment