Thursday, May 17, 2012


On May 17, 1975, in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, Rex & I were married.  That's 37 years ago today.  This is in Burkhead United Methodist Church in what is now the fellowship hall.  It was before the "new" sanctuary was built.  So this room was used as the sanctuary.

I think my dress cost about $350 dollars--more than any dress I had ever purchased before but much less than wedding dresses cost today.  I made my own veil by hand sewing lace trim on net fabric.  I made two of the bridesmaids dresses and my sister, Cathie, made the other two. I also made the flower girl's dress. 

My bouquet was long-stemmed white roses. Behind the altar on the right is a carved candle.  We took the two candles beside it and lit the single candle as part of the ceremony.  And Paula Totherow played a guitar and sang "The Wedding Song" written by Paul Stookey.  It was very 1970s.

The reception was at the church with punch, nuts, cake, and not much else.  It was a fairly typical protestant wedding.  

No comments:

Post a Comment