Monday, April 9, 2012



Both of these pictures are of Ida Virginia Willson Fultz. She was my great-grandmother.  I didn't know her, but my family members who did know her called her Grandma Ida.

The picture on the left was probably taken around 1900.  I'm guessing the date because I also have a similar one of her husband, and he died in 1903.  The picture on the right was taken on the front porch of her home, Cherry Grove, probably in the late 1940s.  She was born in 1855 in Knoxville, Tennessee, and died in 1949 in Rockbridge County, Virginia.  She is buried in Fairfield Cemetery. 

I have heard that she remembered Union soldiers coming through Rockbridge County during the Civil War and camping near her parents' home.  That would be the farm known as Mulberry Grove that is on Sterrett Road (which was called Brownsburg Road when I was a kid). 

There are also several rocking chairs that are smaller and without arms that everyone says were Grandma Ida's rockers.  Apparently, she knitted and/or crocheted and chairs with arms interfered with her progress, so she preferred no arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment