Friday, April 27, 2012


This is one of my most exciting finds!  This is Forrest Clair Allen.  But the basketball world knows him as "Phog" Allen.  He was my Dad's fourth cousin (so, my fourth cousin once removed), although I'm pretty sure Dad never knew that.*

If you know me, you know that I'm a huge Carolina basketball fan and a college basketball fan, in general.  So I had heard of Phog Allen way before I knew we were related.  He is best known for being a basketball coach at the University of Kansas.  In fact, Allen Fieldhouse, the home court of the University of Kansas Jayhawks, is named in his honor.

In 1959, he was in the inaugural class of inductees into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame.  He actually played basketball under James Naismith.  But he did much more. You can read about him at http://www.hoophall.com/hall-of-famers/tag/forrest-c-phog-allen.

*Dad's mother was Janet Fultz, daughter of Ida Virginia Willson, daughter of Eliza Jane Ingles, daughter of Elizabeth Crawford, whose first cousin was William Allen. William Allen, by the way, was a brother of John T. Allen who co-founded Ann Arbor, Michigan.

No comments:

Post a Comment