Sunday, April 15, 2012


This is a Fultz family reunion photo that I got from my cousin, Jean Fultz Bernard.  It is taken in the back yard of the Isaac Fultz home located in Raphine,Virginia.

The older couple in the middle are Isaac and Catherine Proctor Fultz.  My grandmother, Ida Willson Fultz is in the dark dress standing behind Isaac slightly to his right.  Her husband, Joseph Fultz, is standing behind her to the right (tall guy with  the mustache).  And my grandmother, Janet Fultz, is standing in front of her father, but one person to the right of her mother. 

The house stayed in the Fultz family for a number of years before it was sold.  For a while, it was operated as a bed & breakfast, and I actually stayed there once.

While we have had the photo for a number of years, we didn't know exactly when the reunion took place...until recently.  Thanks to the Library of Virginia's participation in the Library of Congress' Chronicling America (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/), small town newspapers have been digitized and are searchable.  Through this site, I found an article from the 17 August 1900 Staunton Spectator and Vindicator that says:


So that means that the reunion took place on 10 August 1900.  Cool!

2 comments:

  1. Nancy, Did you know that the home was owned originally by Isaac's brother Uriah Fultz and when he died in the early 1850s, his widow Anna (Hoover) Fultz, sold the property to brother-in-law Isaac and she and her children, moved back to her birthplace, Shenandoah County just north of New Market? I have a copy of the Deeds for the property.
    Gloria Bushong
    www.bushongreunion.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gloria, I am pretty sure Jean Bernard told me that. Although, it isn't something that I retained. I thought there was a property exchange at some point, where they swapped farms. But I'm not sure.

      Delete