Monday, April 16, 2012



I'm not sure how well you can read this, but it is an excerpt from the 14 October 1903 Lexington Gazette.  It is the obituary for my great-grandfather, Joseph Fultz. I had always heard that he died of appendicitis, and this confirms it.  Family lore says the unsuccessful operation took place on the dining room table--it's a big table. My grandmother's name was Janet, not Jeanette. She would have been about 15 years old at the time that he died.

I didn't realize that he was Methodist. When we lived in Fairfield, we went to Fairfield Presbyterian Church, so I always assumed that all the family members were Presbyterian. Maybe that was the Alexander influence.

This was another find through the Chronicling America efforts at http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/.


No comments:

Post a Comment